Utilising Social Media
This post / story / blog is going to be short and sweet as I am super tired for various reasons.
Some missions have been achieved this week, to date:
- I have sent off an article to a zine, discussing identity including my own, hopefully it will be good enough for the printed copy. I will not say anymore at this stage in case it doesn’t but fingers crossed, as always.
- A few alterations to the website have been made that were suggested from my PR meeting last week; such as the social media buttons being put in order of priority. I have change the social media handles to replicate one another for consistency and so it is easier to remember. I wanted them all to be Tania Swift Fashion but Twitter has a limited character count so I opted for Tania Swift Ldn instead, which is fine.
- Also, I have added the lookbook and compressed it. I didn’t realise how big it was until I wanted to add it to the website, it was nearly 70mb, 20 is the limit. Luckily the web has many options to help as the preview compression option was rubbish and rendered the quality useless. Now it is all fine and on the lookbook page as an additional file should anyway wish to peruse it in that format. It has a completely different feel to the page contentent, which I think is an interesting contrast and showcases another professional stance, well in my opinion it does. Some may say it is overkill but it doesn’t take up space and is a click option should someone want to view it.
- Being more focused on the social media platforms has been a key focal point this week too. Trying to use each one as intended rather than pushing it all through from one to the other. It is interesting how people respond and become more interactive with you once you tweak things. It is hard to not become obsessive though, checking to see if there has been any interaction. Another thing, whilst we are on the subject of obsessiveness, Squarespace have changed the analytics on their phone app and it shows who has engaged in my website, where they are located and the pages they’ve viewed. For some people that is weird but for me it is facinating as it truly shows where people are engaging with the brand and the site as a whole. It is encouraging. Little things keep you going when you are solo.
- Another challenge I set myself was to move out of my comfort zone by attending a networking event. I had to do an elevator pitch for 30 seconds introducing myself and the brand, which was pretty nerve wracking but with some prior bullet points I think I did well. Then speaking with other business owners afterwards was good because you get to share your experiences and woes but also give each other sound advice. Hopefully more will come from that so watch this space.
- I sent off some art work to another zine today, which again I hope will be approved and feature in the next zine. Again I am excited for the opportunity to both be involved in another space but to also showcase the brand in another advertising capacity.
- Aside from that, I have compiled my email to send with the lookbook, I just want to get some final bits of advice before I do so to check the tone is correct and not too long, as is always the case with me. When that is done I will be sending it out this week hopefully to various magazines and stylists.
- The only thing is to thing of a Christmas promotion and if it is worth getting involved with a market here or there. Food for thought this week, I did some initial research I need to check costs as it can become quite pricey.
- The absolute final mission is to buy a calendar so I can plot out my narrative / story telling in more detail. I know I can use ical but I’m an old fashioned girl and like to look at reminders on my wall as it gives me a real sense of achievement when it is ticked off, an element that is absent from technology and honestly my phone is too consuming sometimes so I’m thankful for the separation sometimes - sounds so dramatic.
Anyway in true fashion I have written way more than what I had initially intended but maybe it is a good sign of positive activity. Let’s hope the momentum continues.